Champagne House G.H. Martel & C° is located at 100 yards from the Saint Rémi basilica, in one of the oldest historical districts of Reims.
Champagne G.H. Martel & C° was founded in 1869 by the Tabourin family, a wine grower and wine maker from Avenay Val d’Or, a small village a few miles from Epernay.
In 1910, H.L. Tabourin began with the development of the G.H. Martel & C° trademark, which he had bought in the early 20’s.
In 1979, the death of André, the son of H.L. Tabourin posed the difficult problem of succession.
Champagne Ernest Rapeneau, founded in 1901, acquired a majority of the shareholding in G.H. Martel with the aim to use G.H. Martel & C° as the spearhead for its activities in Champagne. After 50 years of intense activities, Ernest Rapeneau retired from the business, he handed over the direction to his sons, François and Bernard.
The personality of G.H. Martel & C° Champagne is based on the know-how of the Rapeneau family, who has been involved in making this white wine for four generations. Cellar master and Oenologist, Christophe, Bernard’s younger son, now runs the House, while his older son, Jean-François, is responsible for the sales development of the brand.